Low-Voltage Wiring Installation
If you’re building a new home, the last thing on your mind is probably the low-voltage wiring. However, if you plan on having an audio or video system in your home or business, you should start making preparations to pre-wire now. If you forget about your voltage system design, it could be too late or much more pricey down the road.
Consider if you want the following services in your home or business:
- Will you want music around the house?
- Will you have one computer or more than one?
- Will you have TV via antennae, cable, satellite, or all of these?
- Will you want home automation including room-to-room control?
- Will there be adequate telephone jacks?
- Will there be a home theater with surround sound?
- Is paging, door answering a consideration?
- Would you prefer one set of controls for your lighting system, temperature, audio, video, etc.?
J&K Electronics will provide these services and more for Smart Home & Commercial Automation
Suggested Wiring and Options
- Run CAT 5 or better wire for telephones and data lines. This will provide four lines for each location.
- Run RG-6 coax to all TV and touch panel locations. Dual runs of these wires make future expansion a possibility.
- When running audio wires run four-conductor (16/4 or better) through all keypad, volume control, and touch-panel locations. This provides the best flexibility in the future. Then run 16/2 to each speaker location.
- Run CAT 5 for control wires to each keypad, volume control and touch panel location. This will allow IR and network control of these devices.
- Incoming service lead wires will need to be run for telephone, cable, satellite, door speakers and any cameras.
- If a computer network such as a LAN is planned, run separate CAT 5 wire for this purpose.
- If lighting control is the desired upgrade, most manufacturers have control wires that need to go to the control locations of your choice.
- Control wiring for security and HVAC systems, you should consider interface wiring for house-wide control systems.